Hello, from Paradise!
My first week in the Bahamas is in the books, and man it’s been a jam-packed week of exploring, experiencing new things, and soaking in the sun! To be honest, I’ve been pretty lucky – I came here already knowing a few people and they have all been amazing since the moment I got here. They’ve been showing me all the island hotspots, giving me advice on finding a place to live and which areas to avoid, and just helping me assimilate into Bahamian culture. Apparently, I’ll be “Bahama-fied” by December, so we’ll see how that goes!
So far, I’ve:
- Learned how to drive on the opposite side of the road (!!)
- Went to a cultural food and drink festival. They even had a Canadian booth serving “back bacon” on a bun and some Canadian craft beer (felt right at home J)
- Killed my first roach… (what a bloody nightmare that was!)
- Visited Baha Mar, the new vegas-style resort
- Beach hopped to Jaw’s Beach, Love Beach, and Cabbage Beach
- Saw plenty of sting rays and tropical fish
- Went to a couple of awesome restaurants that only the locals know about, including Philosophy, a BBQ joint in the middle of a forest with a bar, live music, and yummy ribs. I’ll be sure to bring ALL my visitors there!!
It hasn’t all been fun and games though – I’m definitely feeling homesick and misseveryone back home. I’ve also been stressed about finding a place to live that is safe, clean, and affordable! Living here is not cheap and will take some getting used to, but I’m all about perspective and learning new ways to save money. After all, I’m here for the experience, right?
Over the next few weeks I’ll be busy looking for a more permanent home, exploring more parts of the island on my own, deciding on which other Bahamian island I want to visit first, working hard at the new gig, and counting down the days until I return home for my first visit (T-minus 16 days!!!!)
Anyways, that’s all I have to share for now, but I’ll be sure to update as the weeks go on. In the meantime, you can stay up-to-date with my Insta stories J